Reporting to the Alliance Accountant, the Project Accountant is responsible for day to day financial management in accordance with the PAA, policies and procedures. This includes ensuring that projects are controlled and managed to deliver the agreed target cost and cash projections, whilst mitigating business risk and undue commercial exposure.
The role places particular emphasis on the identification, recording and management of cost, variances, change, verification of applications for payment and ensuring payments are made in a timely manner as well as supporting our operations management in operational cost control on all our activities.
Midland Metro Alliance operates a matrix management model. Operationally, the Project Accountant reports directly to the Alliance Accountant whilst functional line management is to the WMCA Finance function via Alliance Finance & Commercial Director to the Head of Finance and Business Planning.
As an employee of the WMCA the Job Holder is accountable to the WMCA’s Head of Finance and Business Planning for ensuring that the job holder at all times carries out their duties as set out in this role profile in accordance with the statutory, regulatory and policy provisions governing the WMCA.
MAIN DUTIES OF THE POST
- Support the development of robust strategic business plans for the Alliance• Support the development of robust strategic business plans for the Alliance
- Provide financial support on Owner’s Brief, Project Proposals, Owners reports to funders.Support the production of robust cash flow information to the Owners Team to ensure cash available to meet obligations.
- Ensure submission of robust budgets into the Agresso System and ongoing monitoring of financial information
- Support the development of Target Costs including Value for Money review
- Support the consolidation of Project & Programme Management Reporting spend to the AMT, ALT and metro Board including high level commentary.
- Review of applications for payment from the NOPs in line with purchase orders.
- Ensuring timely payments from Owner
- Delivering the agreed methodology and administering of Programme Management & Project Support allocations.
- Support the performance management process and administration of performance payments
- Reviewing current processes for management accounts preparation and streamlining across Alliance
- Support the preparation of audit packs• Collaboration with non-finance managers in order to develop integrated processes and promote understanding of financial requirements
- Ensure that the current position is accurately reflected within the financial monitoring reports. Investigate variances and evaluate and effectively challenge financial management information.
MMA VALUES AND CULTURE
- Respect – The ability to respond politely and positively to a variety of situations and people in order to meet changing priorities in the role. Arrive at meetings to start at the start time and provide meeting agendas and adhere to agenda timings, wherever possible speak to colleagues face to face.
- Safe & Sustainable – The underlying drive to ensure that we all support our Safety and Sustainability policies within the working environment, this includes contributing to the Alliance objectives for a safe and sustainable metro providing a lasting positive impact on the environment and communities.
- Openness – The willingness and ability to work co-operatively and supportively with colleagues, developing positive, open working relationships in order to solve problems and to help achieve business goals.
- Trust – having confidence that colleagues will support the Alliance Principles and act with integrity and professionalism in sometimes challenging circumstances. Show a commitment to delivering on actions (i.e. do what you say you will do) and trusting others to do the same.
- Challenging – The confidence to challenge decisions to ensure that the Best for Alliance is achieved. Accept challenge of ideas in the interest of achieving the best outcome.
- Honesty – The ability to demonstrate open, honest and ethical behaviour in all dealings with stakeholders, colleagues, suppliers, partners and the public. It is about being open and honest and acting consistently with the Alliance Values at all times.
- ACCA, ACA, CIMA or CIPFA qualified accountant
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Prince 2 Qualified / Studier
- Management and organisational skills
- Efficient presentation and communication skills
- Have the capacity to be influential and amenable
- Professionalism and cordiality
- Behavioural/Collaboration knowledge
- A knowledge of the sector
- Minimum 2 - 3 years’ experience in similar role
- The capacity to meet project deadlines
- Strong technical skills in accounting
- Advanced Excel/systems skills/ Financial modelling technique
- Strong systems manipulation skills
- Experience in Process mapping and implementation experience
- Solid problem solving, decision making and analytical capabilities
- Project Accounting Experience
- Working in a project team environment
- Transport sector experience
- Light Rail, rail or highway multi-disciplinary delivery experience
To apply, please visit https://jobs.centro.org.uk where you will be required to register with our Online Recruitment System which is quick and easy. Please provide detailed information in your application outlining your suitability for the post and ensure it is submitted by the closing date.
You can also call 0121 214 7154 to obtain an application form and role profile for the post.
A CV may be uploaded for extra information, but please note that a CV alone will not be accepted.